Saturday 17 November 2012

goo, twang and the sounds of silence

let us be clear about one thing. a baby with a goo coming out of their ear is never a good time.

Over the past few weeks, we have used over 500 tissues, 3 bottles of calpol, 1 bottle of calcough, we've bleached the bathtub for various bodily fluid related reasons 4 times, there have been 2 gp visits and 1 out of hours clinic. Joel now has 2 inhalers, the baby has an inhaler, there have been tantrums, tears and the evil that is technic lego in the hands of 3 year old (it has since been rehomed in the loft) It's been a bit full on in the poorly department. And now to round it off, Mummy is silent. Silently eating cake. I've had no voice since Wednesday and it doesn't seem like it wants to come on back any time soon.  Joel asks me regularly if I'm sad, because I'm not talking. I try to reassure him using mime and a tiny whisper. The baby on the other hand has started to say 'ma ma ma ma ma' while combat crawling around after me. He holds on to my face and just looks kind of confused that I won't talk back to him. He's reassured by snuggles and food.

While my voice was planning its escape route, I was reading the book 'The Help' - if you've not read it, it is brilliant and I'd highly recommend. Though be warned, if there is any sort of twang lurking inside you-- it will leap at the chance to be reawakened and used. You will find yourself breaking out your 'all y'all' and 'quit it, momma is tired of you fussin' and so it was with me, I found the lazy vowels of twang easier to operate in during the voice is tiptoeing away stage. Now it's just gone and with it the moment of twanginess. I imagine when it returns it will do so as full English.

Few things will keep you sane while dealing with poorly children, my top 3:
1) copious amounts of tea
2) masterchef the professionals (they make it look SO easy!)
3) snickerdoodle cake

Now I have wanted a brilliant snickerdoodle cake recipe for a long time. I love snickerdoodles, they are little bites of happy. However to make them is a long time of super fiddly. So something that delivers the taste, without the faff, show me where I sign up! With a little adaptation, I've made this one dairy free :)

Snickerdoodle Cake


1 cup butter (or dairy free spread)
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 sour cream (I substituted Soy yoghurt)
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt 

1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F/180C.  Cream together the butter and the sugar. Add in the eggs 1 at a time and scrape down sides after adding each. Add in the yoghurt/sour cream and mix well. Then add in the dry ingredients and mix well.

Mix your sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle half the mix on the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Top with the batter and then sprinkle the other half of your sugar/cinnamon mix on top. Bake for 25-30mins. You want it a little squidgy in the middle, a bit like brownies. If a tester 2 inches from the side is clean, you are good to go.  Awesome awesome awesome. They lasted less than 48 hours in this house.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment